It has occurred to me that there are only 5 ways to solve the The Rubik’s cube puzzle.
1. You can peel the stickers off and reapply them. In this method, you really didn’t solve the Rubik’s cube, you basically masked the fact that you don’t know what you are doing. While it’s true that people may not initially be aware of your lack of skill in the matter, the reality is that you cheated. The true test wasn’t if you could pull the stickers off, hell I have an 8 year old niece that can remove and reapply a sticker, it was about solving the puzzle, not avoiding the task.
2. You can break the damn thing apart. As many of us learned at an early age, the game is designed in such a way that if you break it apart, you can secretly snap the pieces back together again. It loosens the structural integrity of the device. Quite frankly, that method questions a lot of integrity, but is still a viable solution. It doesn’t solve the problem and you didn’t learn anything.
3. You can get lucky. Of course, there are 519024039293878272000 possible combinations, but hey… if you have enough monkey’s in a room, punching keys on a typewriter eventually one will key out the works of Shakespeare, right?
4. You can throw it away and buy a new one. Hell… they are only 10 bucks! I mean if you gave it the old college try, that’s good enough… right? Who needs to complete a task when they, you know, “Gave it a try!”
5. You can learn the trick. There are combination of patterns that come up which will help you solve the toy. Once you learn a few simple moves, you can solve any of the ridiculous amount of combination in less than 5 minutes.
It’s so interesting to me that most people deal with the situations in their life, the same way that they deal with a Rubik’s cube. They can cheat, have questionable integrity, hope to get lucky, give up or try and figure it out. The funny part is that in most situations, when one is trying to figure things out, someone is always there waiting to show them the way! You have heard the saying that when the student is ready, the teacher will appear… it couldn’t be more true.
As a magician, it’s my job to tell you (well, maybe not my job) that there’s a trick to everything. Don’t tell the other prestidigitators I told you! There’s an easy way and a hard way. Go find people to help you with the easy way… Solving a Rubik’s cube without an instruction guide is ridiculous… and IMPOSSIBLE!!!
So are many other things! We have been working on Social Media for quite some time and found that it’s just like the Rubik’s cube dilemma. There are all of these people trying to tell.. or more like sell you ways to be lazy and cheat, which quite frankly, never work! Are you just trying to do it yourself and get lucky? Why don’t they just show you the tricks to make it work? Maybe the teacher is closer than you think…